Arizona’s cultural and economic powerhouse is packed with theatres and some of the state’s finest museums, including the Phoenix Art Museum. This shimmering desert metropolis has some of the best south-western and Mexican food and enjoys an estimated 300 days of sunshine a year, which is how it earned its title: ‘Valley of the Sun’.
What to Do in Phoenix
- Soak up the culture at the Phoenix Art Museum, with beautiful works from Claude Monet, Diego Rivera and many more.
- Stroll through the Desert Botanical Garden and wander down the Desert Wildflower Loop Trail, keeping an eye out for bluebells and Mexican gold poppies that bloom from March to May.
- Visit Taliesin West, the nature-wrapped desert home and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright – one of America’s greatest 20th-century architects.
- Explore the Musical Instrument Museum with its lively variety of Hawaiian ukuleles and Indonesian boat lutes.
- Stray deep into the Arizona Museum of Natural History, marvel at the life-sized dinosaur casts and stroke a towering Apatosaurus thigh bone.
Phoenix Travel Tips
When you book your Phoenix flights with Hainan Airlines, keep in mind that spring (April to May) and winter (December to March) are great seasons to visit. It’s easy to get around – Valley Metro buses travel all over the Phoenix valley and a smooth 32-kilometre light-rail line links north and downtown Phoenix. In lively downtown Tempe there’s a free Orbit Bus service that loops the area.